Bob Gurr’s career is one many Disney fans know well. After being hired by Walt Disney to join WED Enterprises in 1954, Bob went on to build vehicles, ride systems, and other designs for a wide range of classic Disneyland and Walt Disney World attractions. For example, Bob created the vehicles for Autopia, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the Haunted Mansion, and the Ford Magic Skyway. He also designed the original version of the Disneyland and Walt Disney World monorails, the mechanics for Walt’s Abraham Lincoln animatronic (as seen in Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at the 1964 World’s Fair), the omnimover ride system, and the world’s first tubular steel roller coaster—Matterhorn Bobsleds. After concluding his career with Disney in 1981, Bob went on to design over 150 projects for Universal Studios, Steven Spielberg, Michael Jackson, and more. For his contributions to the theme park industry, Bob has been honored with the Disney Legends award, his own window on Main Street USA at Disneyland, and the Themed Entertainment Association’s lifetime achievement award, which also places him on the judging committee for the association’s annual theme park awards.
Bob is still very active today at the age of 88. His current projects include:
- Waltland: a bus tour around Los Angeles to visit important sites in Walt Disney and Bob Gurr history.
- Fandom Productions: Bob Gurr merchandise signed by the legend himself.
- “Bob Gurr: Legendary Imagineer”: Bob Gurr’s autobiography, published in 2019.
You can also follow Bob on Social Media:
- And be sure to see Bob on Episode 1 of The Imagineering Story on Disney+.
Which of Bob Gurr’s creations do you love most? Send me your feedback via email or through direct or public message at any of the following and [with your permission] I’ll include your message in a future show:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/ImagineerPodcast
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/ImagineerPodcast
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/ImagineerNews
- Facebook Group (ImagiNation): https://www.facebook.com/groups/imagineerpodcast/
- Share your feedback via voicemail: 516-406-8376
Disney news and travel tips: Be sure to visit our Disney news partner, The Kingdom Insider:
- Website: https://thekingdominsider.com
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/KingdomInsider
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thekingdominsider/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/tkidisneynews
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfNy6LP8uPSjsktoPBr5JTQ
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/TKIDisneyNews/
Vacation Planning: Planning a trip to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, or another Disney destination? Visit our trusted partner, Academy Travel:
- Walt Disney World: https://apps.itams.com/AcademyCRM/form/waltdisney/IP
- Disneyland: https://apps.itams.com/AcademyCRM/form/disneyland/IP
- Disney Cruise Line: https://apps.itams.com/AcademyCRM/form/disneycruise/IP
- Aulani: https://apps.itams.com/AcademyCRM/form/Aulani/IP
- Adventures by Disney: https://apps.itams.com/AcademyCRM/form/DisneyAdventure/IP
How to Support the Show
- Share the podcast with your friends
- Rate and review on iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-imagineerpodcasts-podcast/id1244558092
- Join the Imagineer Society – https://www.patreon.com/imagineerpodcast
- Purchase merchandise – https://www.teepublic.com/stores/imagineer-podcast?ref_id=8929
Enjoy the show!